Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Exerpt form The Little Black Book of Business Networking

I was driving one night with my grandson, Andrew, who was 5 years old at the time. I asked him if he wanted to come to work for me when he got older and he said, “No, I’m going to start my own business.”

“Really,” I replied, “and what type of business are you going to start?”

Andrew proudly replied that he was going to start a “Folding Company.”

I adjusted my rearview mirror so that I could see him eye-to-eye and asked about the nature of this new business idea since I had never heard of a Folding Company. He proceeded to tell me how he wanted to fold sheets, towels, dishrags and socks, but he mainly wanted to fold wash cloths because he enjoyed folding them the most. So, I asked him if he had done any research on other companies that did the same thing, who his ideal clients would be, how much he would charge for the items that he folded, and where he would base his business. Now these questions were all asked in the spirit of fun and he answered most of them pretty well, but as we drove along he grew so quiet I thought he had fallen asleep. However, when I glanced in the mirror I saw that Andrew was crying. So, I asked him what was wrong. and, he said in a sad little voice, “Papa Lee I don’t know if I am smart enough to run my own business.”

“Don’t worry,” I answered him. “I will be here to help you do anything that you choose to do. Besides you’re only five so you have a couple of years before you have to worry about that stuff.” Little Black Book of Business Networking Leland S. Kropp Jr.

No comments: